Hose Measurement Guide
Please provide measurements in UK Imperial inches (to the quater 1/4 inch).
Please take all hose measurements standing straight, looking forward with your feet placed together. Please do not try to take the measurements yourself, it requires two people.
The measurements required for our hose are Calf, Length and Foot. These measurements should be taken as follows:
Take this measurement firmly around the widest part of the calf. Measure both calves taking the largest measurement.
For Highland Dancers
Take this measurement up the back of the leg from the heel (floor) to the crease line at the back of the knee. We will add extra for the cuff. Feel free to add growth of up to 0.5″ for child under 12 years old, add just 0.25″ for child under age 8.
For Pipers and Kilt Wearers
Take this measurement up the side of the leg from the heel (floor) to 1.5″ below the underside of the knee cap (or to where you’d like your hose to sit). We will add extra for the cuff.
Take this measurement standing directly on the tape with the big toe on metal end part, measure from the big toe to back of heel. Feel free to add 0.25″ for growth to any child under 14.
We recommend that your Bonnie Tartan 100% Pure New Wool hose are gently hand washed when necessary – especially the foot part. We recommend you follow these few simple guidelines.
- Your hose should be hand washed in luke warm water (25C) using suitable wool detergent.
- Gently squeeze the wool suds through the fabric, taking care not to rub the hose too much as this may cause shrinkage and increase pilling. Rinse the sock in cool, clean water, squeezing gently without twisting or wringing. A short, light/gentle 800 spin in a spin dryer will help remove most of the water.
- Smooth the hose back into its original shape, gently coaxing back into the correct size, and dry naturally away from direct heat such as radiators and sunlight.
- Ideally the socks should be air dried flat on a clean tea towel. Do NOT sandwich between two fluffy towels as this may trap moisture and cause dye runs as a result of detergents leaching out of towels.
- When dry, press lightly with a cool iron.
- NEVER tumble-dry your Bonnie Tartan socks.
- For Merino/Acrylic wool hose – Machine Wool Wash at 30 degrees and follow above instructions.
*Bonnie Tartan cannot accept responsibility for wrong measurements supplied.